I want to immigrate to the UK

Requirements for immigrating to the UK will be our focus for the next few weeks. Immigrating to other countries will also be explored as this is the most  frequently asked question received via our contact us page.

To live in the UK legally and hassle-free, you need to have an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). All other visa’s are temporary and will require you to return home afterwards. Now the question is how do you get the Indefinite Leave to Remain approval.

There are pre-set questions that you have to answer and these will indicate if you qualify at all to apply. The list is below;

  1. You’re the family member or partner of a British Citizen
  2. You’re the family member or partner of someone who has settled in the UK
  3. You have a visitor visa
  4. You have a study visa
  5. You have a UK Ancestry visa
  6. You have a Retired Person visa
  7. You’ve been settled in the UK before
  8. You have Discretionary Leave
  9. You’re in or have been in HM forces
  10. You’re on the 10-year Private Life route
  11. You’ve been in the UK legally for 10 years (Long Residence)
  12. None of these.

If you select no. 12 you cannot apply at all. All  the other routes above will be considered in detail but for this write-up we are examining the visitor route which is the most popular one.

It is not just any visitor that can apply for the ILR, there is a pre-set condition. Your visitor visa must have been procured based on the fact that you are the partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK. So they are not saying you should a get 6 months holiday visa and relocate! 

Now who is a partner? According to the Gov.Uk website, it is –

2 people in a genuine relationship – you must be able to prove one of the following:

  • you’re married
  • you’re in a civil partnership
  • you’ve been in a relationship for 2 years

You and your partner must intend to continue your relationship after you apply for settlement. Also note that if there are children under 18 involved you can add them to your application form only if your partner in the UK is their other parent. Where this is not the case then their other parent is dead or you have sole responsibility for their upbringing or there is a compelling reason why the child must be allowed to settle with you. Your application will take around 6 months and costs are below.


Who you’re applying for Apply by post Apply in person (premium service)
You £1,875 £2,375
All dependants £1,875 per person £2,375 per person


All information is drawn from the UK Government website.


Say something, start a conversation...