The Derivative Residence Visa – Ezinwa’s Story.

You’re eligible for a derivative residence card if you are in the UK and you’re one of the following:

  • the primary carer of someone who has the right to live in the UK
  • the primary carer’s child
  • the child of a former worker from the European Economic Area (EEA) and you’re at school, college or university in the UK

Being a ‘primary carer’ means you’re someone’s main carer, or you share the responsibility with someone else at least equally, and you’re their direct relative or legal guardian.

Ezinwa’s mum had lived in the UK for as long as I could remember. She solely brought up her children, saw them through school and their dependant years with earnings from her social care job. After retirement, she would visit Nigeria on a yearly basis to catch the sun and see her beloved children and grandchildren. Ezinwa being single and an entrepreneur had the most flexible lifestyle amongst the siblings and as such she tended to spend more time with mum whenever she visited. It was on one of such visits that their lives would change for ever.

Ezinwa noticed that on this particular visit mum was becoming more and more restless. This restlessness progressed to confusion and visible frustration. Ezinwa not being able to understand mum’s situation took her to the doctors who were also not able to diagnose exactly what was wrong. It was then agreed that mum needed to return to England to see her doctors for a concise diagnose. Ezinwa took mum back to England with the intention of returning to Nigeria in 3 weeks at the most. Her thinking was that mum would be treated and she would supervise to ensure that mum was making a recovery and then she would return to her life in Africa.

The diagnosis of Vascular Dementia for her mum changed everything! Mum’s debilitating condition progressed ever so quickly. The restlessness was from the poor lady trying to come to terms with the fact that she was losing her cognitive function. Mum had been independent her entire life and so this loss of memory and physical abilities was an emotional roller coaster that was too great to bear. Ezinwa became the main carer for mum and worked with the hospital and social care system to arrive at a suitable care package for mum. The alternative if she left the UK would be for mum to be sent to residential care. While mum was still fully verbal, she had stated categorically her dislike for residential care and her love for always being in her own home. Ezinwa was therefore determined to ensure her mum was not left in the hands of strangers, so it’s been one year of her living in the UK since she came in for a 3 week visit. Her business and property back home abandoned for the love of her mum.

Visitors to the UK are allowed to stay for a maximum period of 6 months. As this period elapsed, though occupied with looking after her non-mobile mum, Ezinwa knew it was time to seek out paper work so as to legalise her stay. Upon speaking to a lawyer, she was told about the Derivative Residence Card. This visa allows one remain legally in the country for as long as the British Citizen that they are caring for is alive. Ezinwa is now on the verge of receiving this right to stay card.

This story is to alert you to the existence of this visa and provide you with the alternative to looking after your loved ones in the UK if they are ever in such a situation. Please follow links and read all conditions attached to this visa carefully. Our prayer though is not for bad news!

As ever,






One thought on “The Derivative Residence Visa – Ezinwa’s Story.

Say something, start a conversation...